Wednesday, June 23, 2010

my story....meet mayi

i would like you to meet mayi. she is the owner and creator of mayi carles. this is her story.
What kind of house do you live in, are you happy there?

I live and work in Panama (not as in Panama City, Florida, but as in Panama City, Republic of Panama) a very beautiful, sunny and tiny country in Central America. My studio, which is also my home sweet home, is located right next to my parent’s, in front of my grandmother’s and diagonal to my aunt and uncle’s house. So, as you can probably imagine, my work is greatly influenced by the very loving and supportive family I have. And as you could also guess, I am the happiest when I am close to home with the ones I love the most.

Where do you look for inspiration, favorite magazines, websites, blogs?

Everywhere. I find inspiration in the colors of my back yard, in the sound of the waves breaking, in running in the rain, in blasting my ipod speakers to my favorite tunes. But I also find inspirations in people, other artists that I admire and respect and in the web. Some of my favorite places to visit are Etsy, Paper N’ Stitch, Décor8, Design Sponge, Imaginative Bloom, Modish and Bloesem.
What do you like to spend your time on?

I love spending time in my studio. You see, I have a very serious creating addiction. And to top that, I’m an irreparable workaholic too. I create all the time, including weekends and completely love what I do. Making is not my work, this is my passion, and it makes me so so really happy. I also love spending time with family and eating the delicious food my grandmother makes. But what makes me the happiest of all is being with David (my boyfriend).

What are your favorite items in your house?
I love antiques and have started collecting vintage typewriters, phones and keys. These are my new favorite items in my house.
How would you describe your work?
My work is not about aesthetic games, nor is it only about color or shape; it is about an obsessive search journey to reconcile the inner child I have within (free spirited, passionate, naïve, super creative and curious beyond belief), with the adult I have become (expect in technique, dense knowledge about art, but full of biases, dogmas and emotional baggage). In this sense, my work is about the inner tensions and playful struggles we have within. The outcome is a beautifully orchestrated body of work that brings harmony and balance between my child and grown up dialectic.
How long have you been pursuing work as an artist?

I was 2 years old in 1984, the year my parents framed my very first crayon doodle, which still hands in my mom and dad's bedroom in its flashy gold frame. So you can say I’ve been making art even since I could. Now, I have a few career diplomas under my belt to decorate my studio wall and other fancy stuff. I studied Art in Scuola Lorenzo de Medici in Florence, Italy; received a dual Bachelor degree in Communication Studies and Art Theory and Practice, with a minor in Art History from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois; and a Masters in Art in Visual and Critical Studies from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in Illinois. My exhibition curriculum includes individual shows and artists collectives in both Illinois and Panama. In 2009, I published my first book self titled, Mayi - a quirky autobiography. In January 2010, I was invited to join the Board of Director of the Bio Museum, designed by Frank Gehry and curated by Bruce Mau. In February, I quit my job to become a full time artist and one month later I opened an eco-friendly Etsy boutique. Today, my passion for creating and love for making is as present and prominent as it was at age 2, when I did that first doodle.
Links to Make Note of:

personal website – http://www.mayicarles.com/

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! It sounds like your life is wonderfully blessed!!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...